• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Notícias Man who parked tank outside Wickes finally moves it – but says the battle is not over

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Man who parked tank outside Wickes finally moves it – but says the battle is not over

0_Tank-outside-Wickes-to-protest-dangerous-kitchen-job-to-be-hauled-away-today.jpg

Paul Gibbons has moved his tank from outside Wickes following a fuming kitchen row, but says his fight is not over yet as he claims the chain fitted a 'threat-to-life and deadly' kitchen

A bloke who parked a tank outside Wickes in a row over a kitchen has finally moved it - but says the fight isn't over.

Paul Gibbons, 63, claims the £25,000 work by the chain was "incomplete, a threat-to-life and deadly". Paul drove the military vehicle at 6am on December 27 to the store in Basingstoke, Hants, and it's been there ever since - until today.

The tank is a 1965 decommissioned Abbot self-propelled gun which he borrowed from a mate who rents it out for protests against big companies. He's asking Wickes for a refund for what he calls the "poor quality" kitchen installation at his home last February.

He says it's riddled with "dangerous" issues including fire risk circulatory problems, mould under the sink, and badly fitting units - with one heavy cupboard nearly collapsing on his dog. Paul says he has to kip downstairs due to the high risk of fire so he can escape without getting trapped.

A sign was later stuck on the vehicle warning that it would be removed 'within 14 days' of the notice date, which was January 23.

Paul says Wickes' note on the tank stated the vehicle was 'not road taxed' and it had been 'abandoned there', and they would be removing it today (Tues). Paul disagrees with this but moved it to avoid any damage from the chain.

He said: "I'm tired, worn out, but my voice is almost coming back now - I am not crushed yet. The tank is firstly road-taxed - so their statement isn't true, and I have been with it 40 out of 41 days - that is not abandonment.

"It is really about how this company can choose what they do and don't do. They choose not to give people what they pay for - I don't understand how they think they can get away with it.

"I don't want a company to be able to do what they want without consequence - if they are going to take people's money they should give them what they paid for. Lives have been blighted by this company, but we are all going to come together. This is just the beginning."

He said: "The tank was a way of making a very loud, very quiet protest, people wouldn't talk to me if I was just sat outside with a placard - whereas when the tank was there, people came and asked me why and you tell them. This protest has taught me not only am I not alone - but there are thousands fighting the same battle, I now realise that."

Mr Gibbons had erected a sign on the side of the tank which, using the letters from Wickes, spelled: "Warning Incompetent Complacent Kitchen Equipment Supplier."

A spokesperson for Wickes previously said: "We arranged a full and independent inspection of Mr Gibbon's kitchen by The Furniture & Home Improvement Ombudsman. Their assessment was that 2-3 days remedial work would be required to bring the kitchen up to a satisfactory standard.

"Following the independent inspector's guidance, we offered to pay for the cost of the remedial works, plus an additional sum as compensation. Both of which Mr Gibbons has rejected.

"As the safety and wellbeing of our team members is our number one priority, and following incidents when Mr Gibbons has demonstrated unacceptable and aggressive behaviour towards members of our team, we reported these incidents to the police and took the decision to issue him with an exclusion notice preventing him from entering our premises."

They added Mr. Gibbons had "failed to comply with the exclusion notice" and Wickes has since apologised to customers "inconvenienced or concerned" by the tank.

Daily Star Sunday