Man killed in 'possible gas leak' as police cordon off entire street after 'sudden death'

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Mensagens
20,870
Gostos Recebidos
875
Man killed in 'possible gas leak' as police cordon off entire street after 'sudden death'

2_Scene1.jpg


A man in his 70s was found dead at Newlands Drive, Prestwich on Sunday evening as emergency services suspect a possible gas leak as the cause of his 'sudden death'

Police were called to Newlands Drive at about 8.20 pm on the evening of December 12.

A man in his 70s was pronounced dead at the scene, Manchester Evening News reports.

Firefighters also attended after receiving 'reports of a gas leak'.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: "Police were called around 8.20pm on Sunday 12 December to a report of sudden death and a possible gas leak on Newlands Drive, Prestwich.

"Emergency services attended and a man in his 70's was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.

"Enquiries are ongoing."

According to local media, the road was taped off this morning as forensics officers collected evidence at the scene.

A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) spokesperson said: “At 8:36pm on 12 December 2021, three fire engines from Broughton, Agecroft and Whitefield fire stations supported colleagues from North West Ambulance Service and Greater Manchester Police at reports of a gas leak on Newlands Drive, Prestwich.

“Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel and one gas detector and were detained one hour fifteen minutes."

According to MRR, inhaling a high concentration of natural gas can lead to asphyxia, the symptoms of which include fatigue and chest pain.

Asphyxia occurs when your body is deprived of oxygen, and the more carbon monoxide there is present in the air which can lead to sudden death.

Landlords will be required to install carbon monoxide alarms in social housing rooms with gas appliances, under new Government plans announced last month.

More than 50 people died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in 2019 across England and Wales, with more than a third of those deaths taking place at home, the Mirror reports.

Daily Star Sunday
 
Topo