• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.
Portal Chamar Táxi

Ex-Premier League star Christian Atsu, 31, found dead after awful Turkey earthquakes

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Ex-Premier League star Christian Atsu, 31, found dead after awful Turkey earthquakes

0_BANNER-Christian-Atsu-Turkey-earthquake-dead.jpg

Ex-Chelsea and Newcastle United winger Christian Atsu has tragically been found dead nearly two weeks after being reported missing following the devastating earthquakes in Tukey

Former Premier League star Christian Atsu has tragically been found dead aged 31 after finally being located within the rubble in Turkey.

The Ghanaian had been reported missing following the devastating earthquakes which claimed the lives of tens of thousands of people in Turkey and Syria on February 6.

Inaccurate reports that he'd been rescued and brought to hospital 'with injuries' circulated last week, but were later debunked, and Atsu's passing has now been confirmed by his agent Nana Sechere.

He posted on Twitter on Saturday morning: "It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.

"I ask that whilst we make the necessary arrangements, that everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time."

The player had been signed to Turkish Super Lig club Hatayspor, who are based in the region of Kahramanmaras - one of the areas hit hardest by the quakes - the first of which was a magnitude 7.8, followed by a magnitude 7.5 shortly after.

It's understood that Atsu, who is survived by a wife and two children, was living alone on the ninth floor of his apartment building when it collapsed, and his shoes were located amongst the rubble last week.

Tributes to the former Chelsea, Newcastle and Everton star began pouring in on social media following news of his death on Saturday morning, with fans urging his former clubs to arrange memorials in his honour ahead of this weekend's Premier League fixtures.

"Absolutely tragic news. Rest in peace, Christian. I hope something can be done for him before the game against Southampton," tweeted one Chelsea supporter.

"Sad news to wake up to. Christian Atsu will never be forgotten," another commented. A third added: "Sending love and strength to Christian's wife and children. Horrible news."

Atsu's former Chelsea team-mate John Terry posted a photo of the star on Twitter, with the caption: "RIP my friend," along with a blue heart and a broken heart emoji.

Mere hours before the first quake struck, Atsu scored a last-minute winner for Hatayspor to secure a 1-0 win over Kasimpasa, and was held aloft by his jubilant team-mates during the post-match celebrations.

Atsu's career began when he was snapped up by Porto from Ghana as an 18-year-old. Two years later in 2013 he joined Chelsea, but spent his entire four-year spell at Stamford Bridge out on loan, at Vitesse, Everton, Bouremouth, Malaga and Newcastle.

He made his move to St James' Park permanent in 2017 after helping the club seal promotion back to the Premier League, and stayed there for four more years before moving to Saudi Arabian outfit Al-Raed in 2021.

After just a year in the Gulf state, he joined Hatayspor.

His old club Chelsea paid tribute with a statement that read: "It is with enormous sadness that Chelsea Football Club receives the news that Christian Atsu is confirmed as one of the many victims of the dreadful earthquake in Turkey and Syria.

"Chelsea sends our heartfelt condolences to Christian’s family and friends and to all those affected by the earthquake tragedy."

Newcastle, similarly, said: "We are profoundly saddened to learn that our former player Christian Atsu tragically lost his life in Turkey's devastating earthquakes. A talented player and a special person, he will always be fondly remembered by our players, staff and supporters."

And Everton posted: "We are deeply saddened by today's news that Christian Atsu has been found dead following the earthquake in Turkey earlier this month. Our thoughts are with his family, friends, colleagues at @Hatayspor_FK and everyone affected by this tragic event that has claimed so many lives."

Daily Star Sunday