• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.
Portal Chamar Táxi

Edwin van der Sar's condition 'stable but concerning' after Man Utd legend's brain bleed

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
Edwin van der Sar's condition 'stable but concerning' after Man Utd legend's brain bleed

0_EDWIN.jpg

Former Manchester United and Ajax goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar is still in intensive care after suffering a brain haemorrhage as his family thank well-wishers for their support

Ajax have provided an update on Edwin van der Sar's health after the legendary goalkeeper suffered a brain haemorrhage on Friday.

The former Manchester United star is still in intensive care after being rushed to hospital via helicopter while holidaying in Croatia.

Ajax released a statement on Saturday saying the 52-year-old was in a "stable condition" but that the situation was "concerning".

"Edwin van der Sar will remain in intensive care for the time being. His condition is stable but still concerning," the club wrote. "Ajax shares this information on behalf of Annemarie van der Sar, Edwin's wife. The Van der Sar family, along with Ajax, is grateful and deeply touched by the many messages of support."

Well-wishers littered the comments section with messages of love and support for the former footballer, with fans urging Van der Sar to "keep fighting".

"You got this, Edwin. Thought and prayers to you and your family," one person tweeted. "Keep fighting and we'll keep praying," another wrote.

After news of Van der Sar's health scare broke on Friday, Manchester United's social media accounts uploaded a photo of their former star, along with the caption: "Sending all our love and strength to you, Edwin."

After bringing the curtain down on his playing career in 2011, Van de Sar returned to former club Ajax, initially as marketing director before being promoted to CEO in 2016.

Earlier this year, he announced he was stepping down from his position, claiming the job was causing him a great deal of stress and had left him exhausted.

"I now feel the need to distance myself, unwind and do other things," Van der Sar said when announcing his departure from the Dutch club back in May.

"After almost eleven years on the board, I am done. We have experienced wonderful things together, but it has also been an incredibly tough period.

"I am very grateful for the people I have met and worked with during my second career at Ajax, and what we have achieved and been through together.

"It doesn’t feel good to take decisions about the future of this wonderful club in the coming period. That is why I have decided to resign."

Tragically, this is also the second time the Van der Sar family have been impacted by a brain haemorrhage. Back in December 2009, the former goalkeeper's wife Annemarie suffered the same fate, though she thankfully made a full recovery.

Van der Sar began his career at Ajax in 1990, and eventually established himself as the club's No. 1 keeper three years later. He won four Eredivisie titles as well as the Champions League in 1995 before departing for Juventus in 1999.

Two years later however he was replaced by Gianluigi Buffon and joined Fulham for a modest £7m. It didn't take long for his form to attract the attention of United and the Red Devils snapped him for around £2m in 2005.

He spent the final six years of his career at Old Trafford, winning four Premier League titles as well as the Champions League. He also earned 130 caps for Holland, bettered only by Wesley Sneijder's tally of 134, and appeared at six major tournaments.

Daily Star Sunday