• Olá Visitante, se gosta do forum e pretende contribuir com um donativo para auxiliar nos encargos financeiros inerentes ao alojamento desta plataforma, pode encontrar mais informações sobre os várias formas disponíveis para o fazer no seguinte tópico: leia mais... O seu contributo é importante! Obrigado.

Notícias 'Brit' Singapore Airlines passenger killed by turbulence with 30 more injured on UK flight

Roter.Teufel

Sub-Administrador
Team GForum
Entrou
Out 5, 2021
Gostos Recebidos
'Brit' Singapore Airlines passenger killed by turbulence with 30 more injured on UK flight

1_singaporeairlines_banner.jpg

Singapore Airlines flight that left London on Monday evening suffered extreme turbulence en route to Singapore but was forced into an emergency landing

A passenger on a flight from London has been killed by turbulence.

Another 30 people onboard are said to have been taken to hospital following the incident. The flight from the British capital to Singapore occurred onboard a Singapore Airlines flight. Initial reports suggest the passenger killed was a Brit.

The Boeing 777 operating under the code flight SQ321 is understood to have lifted off from the UK at 10.17pm last night (May 20). The region around its destination is currently experiencing severe tropical storms.

The incident is understood to have seen the flight rediverted to Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok which later touched down at around 4pm local time. Reports that the passenger who lost their life in the incident was a British pensioner, 73, who was travelling in premium economy.

The plane was due to be at Singapore Changi Airport at 6.10pm local time. Following its touchdown in Bangkok, images soon emerged of the jet on the tarmac surrounded by ambulances.

On X (Twitter) Andrew Davies, a man claiming to have been aboard the flight, said: "I was on that flight and helped as much as I could. Those not injured (including me) are in a holding area at Bangkok airport. My heart goes out to the gentleman who lost his life and his poor wife. Awful experience.

"Lots of people injured - including the air stewards who were stoic and did everything they could. Bangkok emergency services quick to respond. Very little warning. The seatbelt sign came on, I put on my seatbelt straightaway then the plane just dropped.

"Shouted for a defibrillator. Passengers with medical training helping as much as they could. CPR on the poor gentleman that passed. Another passenger laid flat in aisle further behind me. Not sure what happened with them. Wish I could have helped more."

Speaking at a press conference following the incident, Kittipong Kittikachorn, the general manager of management company Airports of Thailand said: “Most injuries are from cuts to the head” and added that 30 people on the flight received small injuries”.

The spokesperson added: "About 100 out of the roughly 200 passengers will be ready to travel on to Singapore tonight. They are having dinner now and Thai Airways will take them the rest of the way later”.

In a formal statement on Facebook, Singapore Airlines said: "Singapore Airlines flight #SQ321, operating from London (Heathrow) to Singapore on 20 May 2024, encountered severe turbulence en-route. The aircraft diverted to Bangkok and landed at 1545hrs local time on 21 May 2024.

"We can confirm that there are injuries and one fatality on board the Boeing 777-300ER. There were a total of 211 passengers and 18 crew on board.

"Singapore Airlines offers its deepest condolences to the family of the deceased.

"Our priority is to provide all possible assistance to all passengers and crew on board the aircraft. We are working with the local authorities in Thailand to provide the necessary medical assistance, and sending a team to Bangkok to provide any additional assistance needed.

"We will provide regular updates on our Facebook and X accounts."

Fatalities caused by turbulence are extremely rare on international scheduled flights and are more likely to happen to crew. Flight tracking data has since revealed that the plane dropped around 6,000 feet in just three minutes.

The Daily Star has contacted Singapore Airlines for comment.

Daily Star Sunday